Think you don’t have a say in this issue because you’re not a social worker, a special agent, or a state legislator? Think again. Here are several tangible and impactful ways you can make a difference. From spreading the word via film screenings and dialoguing with friends, to being a conscientious consumer, you can take ownership in combating human trafficking.
Special Holiday Ideas:
- Download our uniquely-designed holiday gift tags and make a donation of any amount to Traffick Free.
- Make a donation of any amount to Traffick Fee and give Christmas gift certificates to tell your friends and family about the work you are helping to be a part of.
- Check out our resolutions for a better new year which include movie recommendations
- Sign up for our newsletter for current opportunities
- Host a book club with one of the following text recommendations:
- Girls Like Us by Rachel Lloyd
- Somebody’s Daughter by Julian Sher
- Refuse to do Nothing by Shayne Moore and Kimberly McOwen Yim
- Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn
- Set up a Google News alert for HT in your city so you know what’s going on locally and how it impacts your community
- Like Traffick Free on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn for the most up-to-date news articles and events, and then SHARE THEM WITH OTHERS
- Sign up at smile.amazon.com and select Traffick Free as your charitable organization to donate 0.5% of your purchases to
- Call your elected officials on the state and federal levels to let them know that this is an important issue to you. As a voter (or soon-to-be voter), you have the power to demand your representatives follow an abolitionist agenda
- Be a mentor for a youth organization like Big Brothers Big Sisters or volunteer at a school. Be a role model and someone that young people should look up to while empowering them to change their world
- Flag underage sex posts on Craigslist and Backpage
- Get your business or school on-board with Free To Work. Add their mobile app to your iPhone or Android phone (link on the website)
- Oppose the commercial sex industry, including prostitution, escort services, strip clubs, pornography and the “pimp ‘n ho” culture. End the demand
- Purchase Fair Trade, Direct Trade and local products whenever possible
- Volunteer with a local anti-trafficking organization; click here for local organizations that could use your help
- Keep your eyes open, and don’t dismiss suspicious circumstances – if you suspect slavery or exploitation, call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center at 888-3737-888 or text BeFree (233733)
If you would rather create your own course of action, don’t hesitate to contact us – it would be our privilege to help you any way that we can.